San Francisco Golden Gate Park: Photo Essay
“Observe the wonders as they occur around you. Don’t claim them. Feel the artistry moving through and be silent.”On my way to do my normal routine of walking the trail surrounded by Stowe Lake, and hiking the Strawberry Hill, I took the (road) less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. I spotted lots of beautiful blooms, some wild flowers and some not so wild. The famous San Francisco "Karl the Fog" was absent that day. The sun was perfect above the blue sky, showering the blooms with light. I took out my camera and snapped a few pictures. After my hike, I was inspired to walk farther to the M.H. De Young Museum and took more photos along the way.
#1. Franciscan Paint Brush?
#2. Wild Iris
#4 Wild Flowers
#5 Pinks and Reds
#6.Violets and Blue
#7. Yellow Flowers
#8. My Homage to the San Francisco Giants
#9. The wildlife was abundant too. I spotted a hawk, a heron, a few blue jays and a squirrel.
I snapped a photo of the Spreckles Temple from the museum cafe. I was also fascinated by the lighting at the M.H. DeYoung Museum Cafe. Modernism from the National Gallery of Art: The Robert & Jane Meyerhoff Collection is currently featured at the M.H. De Young Museum (June 7, 2014 – October 12, 2014).
If you're visiting, there's plenty of things to see and do at Golden Gate Park so check out their website before you go: http://www.golden-gate-park.com/
- Botanical Gardens at Strybing Arboretum
- Japanese Tea Gardens
- Tulip Garden. On the west end of the park is a large old windmill and a beautiful tulip garden.
- Rose Garden
- The Garden of Shakespeare Flower
- Conservatory of Flowers
- M.H. De Young Museum
- California Academy of Sciences
- Children Playground and Carousel
- Archery field
- Soccer fields
- Handball / Racquetball Courts
- Rollerblading/cycling hot spots. There are options for bike rental inside of the park.
- Horse stables and Polo Field
- Kezar Stadium
- There's a chain of lakes. Stowe Lake is the most popular and where you could go boating. It's surrounding the Strawberry Hill where you see a view of the city; a pagoda and waterfalls.
All Photos by the author.